Good bye 2017

Time flies when you are living abroad. It has been over three years since I arrived and studied in Ireland. This year has been a busy one for me with a great surprise for our born baby, and it is time for finishing up my PhD thesis as soon as possible. As always being expected, some things planned went well and some did not happen, even though, it is always motivating to have my bucket list for the new year. I missed the opportunities for participating some conferences I've planned to, and made it to attend some conferences I've planned, and as always, it will be happening again and again with acceptances and rejections from conference venues. Even so, it was a great experience to submitting top-tier conferences and getting feedbacks from many experts.

I also applied many internship opportunities related to machine learning, RecSys, etc. and had one phone interview from IBM. The industry needs are the overlap between machine learning and media/text analytics which also denotes the popularity of deep learning and its applications in computer vision, NLP, etc. Although I did not make it, I had another opportunity to attend Lisbon machine learning summer school this year, which is one of the largest ML summer school, and started to know many interesting and motivating techniques which I aim to apply to my research recently.

And it is time for me to re-think about future opportunities I'd like to take after graduation. Different from last time in South Korea after my master's degree, things have been changed from two family members to three. On one hand, it is always afraid to prepare for the next step when the graduation is upcoming. On the other hand, it is also very exciting to face new challenges and take new journeys - "A man is not old as long as he is seeking something.".

So make your resolutions well and try your best to achieve them as many as possible in 2018!


No comments:

Post a Comment